Monday, May 19, 2008

DOZER - "Beyond Colossal" - Day 07























Dear diary,

I know I said I'd post another vid today, but there were no golden Kodak moments today. Tomorrow I'll post one even if it's of paint drying.

Started with guitars today and nailed the sound pretty quickly. It actually sounded really good first time we pushed up the faders, but since we (okay, mostly I) just couldn't leave it alone we had to tweak it and put up a few more mics.
Ended up with 4 mics on the cab; Revox 3500, Fat Head ribbon, Shure SM57 and a vintage Sennheiser mic of unknown model (I could google for it, but I'm tired from sitting on my ass all day).
So far I'm very happy with how everything sounds. I'm especially happy of how everything just fits together. The drums, bass & guitars all have their own place and there's very little of them cancelling each other out.. but yeah, only done 2 rhythm guitars so far, so there's plenty of time for that to change when all zillion overdubs are in place.

We've also had a really weird thing happen. We first noticed it when we were recording the bass, and today it was back. Right in the middle of recording the sound went from crisp to pretty dull, or well, not dull, but dull-ER.
First we just thought it was a tired battery in the distortion pedals or the preamps acting up after getting too hot, but as always it's the absolute last thing you check - the cables. The cable going from the the control room to the guitar amp. So I'm glad we found the error and hopefully we're rid of that fault forever (fingers crossed).

No comments: